For centuries the village of Upton had been within the parish of St
Mary's-on-the-Hill, which adjoins Chester Castle. Then along came a man of
vision who thought it necessary to create a separate chapel-of-ease in Upton.
He was St Mary's vicar, Revd William H. Massie.
The church building was designed in Gothic Revival by architect James Harrison. Built in red sandstone, it was consecrated on 31st May 1854 by John Graham, Bishop of Chester. And so The Church of the Holy Ascension - to give its full title - came into being. It is a Grade II listed building.
It was not until 1882 that the first permanent vicar, Revd Wilfred Sparling M.A. was appointed. He served for fifty years.
The purpose of the Church of Holy Ascension in Upton is:
'To be the people of God in this place, committed to Christ, to one another and to Service in the community; together, we worship God with joy and love and with openness to renewal by the Holy Spirit